This week the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship spent time in our community for an update a year and a half after the federal government announced plans to resettle thousands of Syrian refugees in Canada.
The City of London stepped up enormously in this regard, accepting more than 1,600 Syrian newcomers. We are the sixth largest city in the province and we welcomed the third largest number of refugees. Minister Ahmed Hussen commended us on our efforts during the refugee crisis.
I would like to thank the Cross Cultural Learner Centre and all community partners for hosting us and for all the work that they do helping integrate newcomers into our society.
Diversity is our strength in London. We are a better community when we are inclusive, accepting and welcoming. That is why almost 200 Londoners came together to create a Community Diversity and Inclusion Strategy, making London a better city for all.
Also this week, Lowe’s Canada held a grand opening for its newest location in south London. This is a promising investment, one that shows confidence in our local economy. This will provide jobs and encourage more businesses to locate in the southwest end near the 402. I wish them the best of luck in the years to come.
Meeting with the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Ahmed Hussen.
Welcoming Glen Cairn Public School to City Hall for a visit.
- Women of Excellence: Andrea Barker
- Opioid overdose antidote flying off London shelves
- London Life cuts 430 jobs
- Red light cameras to be operational at eight city intersections next month
- London Homeless Coalition hosts Soup n’ Bread event
- Lowe’s Canada opens new location in London
- Ontario Federation of Agriculture suggests buying homes in rural Ontario to solve Toronto housing bubble
- Hockey Helps the Homeless tournament will host former NHL pros to support London’s most vulnerable
- Mother of Columbine shooter speaks at Breakfast of Champions
- Environment Canada confirms small tornado in Thamesford earlier this month
- London restaurant to open world’s first 24-hour vegan drive-thru
Events and Occasions:
- 35th Anniversary of The Meal
- Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Meeting with Shelley-Ann Solomon
- Meeting with Yvette Scrivener
- Roundtable with Honourable Minister Ahmed D. Hussen
- Breakfast of Champions
- Amalgamated Transit Union National Conference
- Meeting with Karin Lettingham
- London Homeless Coalition Soup n’ Bread Event
- Huff n’ Puff Annual General Meeting
- Lowe’s Grand Opening
- Municipal Middlesex Day
- Meeting with James Fletcher-Dean
- Visit with students from Glen Cairn Public School
- Meeting with John Matsui
- Culture Shock! 2017 International Food Festival
Opening up the new Lowe’s location on Wonderland Road.
Speaking at the Huff n’ Puff annual general meeting.