London hosted several important and timely community discussions this week.
First we explored our municipal electoral system.
Ranked ballots allow you to vote for your first, second and third choices. The winner is the candidate that gets 50 per cent of the votes, plus one. If no one gets 50 per cent, the candidate with the least votes is cut, and the second choice votes from that candidate are now counted. This process continues until a candidate receives 50 per cent of the vote. Click here for more details about ranked ballots.
Ranked ballots reduces negative campaigning, encourages candidates to stay in the race until election day and may be a better representation of the voters.
I want to hear your opinion about ranked ballots. There will be a public participation meeting on Saturday, April 22 at 11 a.m. at City Hall that I hope you can attend.
We also gathered as a group to discuss how we tackle hate and interrupt racism in London.
After three very well attended Community Diversity and Inclusion Strategy meetings, our community driven strategy will now be drafted and presented to council in early April. I would like to thank everybody that was a part of these important conversations and I am encouraged by the work that has been done. This will help London become a more welcoming, accepting and inclusive community. To learn more about the Community Diversity and Inclusion Strategy, click here.
Meanwhile, the province released its 3-Year Anti-Racism Strategic Plan. This an enormous step in ensuring that every municipality in Ontario, and the province as a whole, is focused on removing systemic barriers, supporting racialized communities and setting the foundation for long-term government efforts.
Finally, we welcomed the Governor General of Canada, His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, to London. He spoke at Western University, visited Innovation Works and presided over a Canadian honours ceremony.
It was fantastic to see so many Londoners and Ontarian's recognized for their outstanding contributions to their communities. I’m incredibly proud of all the amazing people who call our city and province home.
Speaking at the Jack Richardson London Music Awards Media Mixer.
Visiting with His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston at Innovation Works along with Kate Graham and Michelle Baldwin.
- London International Airport prepares for busy March break
- Governor General honours 45 Canadians at London ceremony
- Grand Theatre receives $1M gift while unveiling 2017-18 season
- Fanshawe College keeps promise of providing tuition for 10 Syrian refugees
- High winds in London leave residents to clean up mess
- Thousands to attend London Farm Show
- CAMI issues layoff notices to more than 600 workers
- City endorses curbside Christmas tree collection after successful trial
- Three London events among Ontario’s top 100 festivals
- William Shatner to headline London Comic Con 2017
- 300 homes another step closer to getting Council approval
- Conservative leadership candidate Kevin O’Leary makes stop in London
- Motion to record closed-door meetings fails at committee
- Second recent bomb threat at London Jewish centre found to be a hoax
- Local housing starts up since a year ago
- Rapid Transit working group votes to review proposed routes
- Business real estate booming in London
Events and Occasions:
- Spin4Kids at GoodLife Fitness
- Move for Wheels
- 60th Anniversary Celebration of the Independence of Ghana
- Meeting with Tatiane Gonino and Ronaldo Terra
- Meeting with Ron Khoudys
- Meeting with Gus Kotsiomis and Heather Austin
- Filming for Spectacular on Rogers TV
- Meeting with Christopher Poulos
- Kevin O’Leary event at London Convention Centre
- Ontario’s Southwest Tourism Conference
- Being Bold for Change with Brescia University
- Meeting with Jan Richardson and Taylor Ablitt
- Meeting with Albert Knab and Tom Davis
- Meeting with His Excellency, the Right Honourable David Johnston
- President’s Lecture at Western University
- Community Diversity and Inclusion Strategy Final Meeting
- CCAA Men’s Volleyball National Championship Banquet
- Jack Richardson London Music Awards Media Mixer
- The Grand Theatre 2017-18 Season Announcement
- Meeting with Dave Meslin
- Governor General Canadian Honours Event
- Rank Your Vote: Community Conversation
- Meeting with Blake Weber
- Meeting with Jane McWitt and AnnaLise Trudell
- Meeting with Marc Forrat
- 30th Annual Middlesex Clerks & Treasurers Association Curling Funspiel
Meeting with Tatiane Gonino and Ronaldo Terra.